While requirements will differ from program to program, most nursing schools require
students to have:
1) At least 60 hours of credit (i.e., all Core requirements completed).
Note: Completed Core requirements at UGA will transfer to all other institutions within
the University System of Georgia. In other words, it is not required that you complete
the Core requirements at the institution you hope to transfer but instead should focus
on completing AREAS I-V at UGA. Private institutions (e.g., Piedmont College) may
accept or reject transfer credit at their own discretion. Therefore, you will want
to double-check with the admissions offices at private institutions prior to applying.
2) Several additional pre-nursing pre-requisites completed before matriculation.
Typical nursing pre-requisites include:
- Anatomy & Physiology I and II (CBIO 2200/L and CBIO 2210/L)
- Microbiology with lab (MIBO 2500/L or MIBO 3500/L)
- Lifespan Development (HDFS 2200)
- Chemistry (CHEM 1211/L and sometimes CHEM 1212/L)
- Biology (BIOL 1103/L and 1104/L or BIOL 1107/L and 1108/L or BIOL 1103/L and BIOL 1108/L )
- Statistics (STAT 2000 or BIOS 2010)
- Psychology (PSYC 1101)
- Behavirol Science (ANTH 1102 or SOCI 1101)
- Public Speaking (COMM 1100 or 1500)
- Nutrition (FDNS 2100)
- Plus, ALL CORE classes including FYOS and PE.
Note: The above requirements are not exhaustive. It is important that you check the website of each individual nursing program you wish to apply to, as well as to meet with the pre-nursing advisor to ensure you are meeting all of the course requirements